The original Alberni District Secondary School built in 1951 could not accommodate all the new students attending. Therefore, the new Port Alberni Secondary School, a two-storey, 180,500 sq. ft. school, was built with the capacity to educate 1,000 students. It features a neighbourhood learning centre with a 500-seat theatre, a First Nations gathering space, a youth health clinic with shared-use community space, two gymnasiums, a fitness room, a cafeteria, vocational training shops, a library, and a dance studio. The new school also includes a new artificial turf field. Built to LEED Gold standards, the school features extensive daylight harvesting in all classrooms and corridors with offset dimming lighting.
Houle was tasked with the electrical distribution and lighting, sports field lighting, theatrical lighting and sound control systems, communications systems, public address, systems integration, security and access control, and fire alarm.
User group involvement in the construction process created several changes that needed to be managed to determine request for proposal requirements or changes to contract. The building was built in three sections. Multiple crews working in different areas needed to coordinate and communicate to ensure that when the sections were joined, no conflicts existed. Staged opening created the need to work at night in occupied areas to connect completed areas to those under construction.
Despite being a design-build construction project where many parts of the design were still in development during construction, Houle was able to coordinate with the design team to ensure construction progress.