As one of Canada’s largest merchandisers and processors, Cargill Limited processes meat, eggs, malt and oilseed, and manufactures livestock feed. Cargill Canada is also involved in crop input product retailing, as well as grain handling, milling, salt distribution, and merchandising. In addition to the Dust Mitigation Program project, Houle completed various projects for Cargill over the years varying from electrical to data networks to security. The scope of these projects includes, but is not limited to:
- Installing perimeter card readers
- Upgrading the plant’s entire fire alarm system to new addressable system with new devices
- Installing new distribution, cable trays, cables, controls, and hazard monitoring to new bucket conveyors
- Replacing manual bin gates with fully automated gates and controls
- Installing new emergency pull cords on entire length of existing ship loader conveyor
- Installing new cat5 phone lines to multiple areas of the plant
- Installing new electrical room with distribution
- Replacing old bin sensors with new radar and high level sensors
It was challenging to work in a production plant with high safety regulations. Specialty tools had to be used due to the high risk of igniting flammable dust particles in the vicinity. There were many tight deadlines with minimal reference drawings. Care had to taken while working in the operational site in order not to contaminate any of the food products that were constantly moving in the open conveyors.
Houle successfully completed each project on schedule and with no lost time incidents, all while ensuring that plant operations were not disrupted.