Opening in 1938, the Lions Gate Bridge is a suspension bridge that connects the City of Vancouver to the North Shore Municipalities of the District of North Vancouver, the City of North Vancouver, and West Vancouver. In 2005, the bridge was designated a National Historic Site of Canada.
The refurbishment of the Lions Gate Bridge was an ambitious project. Replacing the entire deck of a bridge and associated suspension components – while keeping the bridge in use – had never before been accomplished. The electrical scope of the project consisted of removing and replacing all the power distribution and controls including traffic signals, fibre optics, and roadway lighting throughout the entire length of the bridge. As well, two runs of 24-inch stainless steel cable tray were installed under the entire length of the bridge and viaduct for new and future installations.
The logistics of this project were very onerous. For the most part, work was restricted to evening and specified weekend closures, with critical timelines to ensure the bridge re-opened at 6am each morning.